Sunday, August 4, 2013

The day has come - July 31, 2013

Alec was set apart as a missionary on Monday, July 29th by our Stake President, President Farr.  We had some of Alec's friends, people in our ward, and family there.

The next day, he packed everything up.  It was a different experience with Alec than with Derrek.  Alec was just giving everything away!  The only thing he cared about was his computer, and even then, if he really thought about it, he'd probably give that away, too.  It was hard for him to pack.  That is when it starts to become real.  We made sure he had everything he would need for at least the next 3 weeks, until he was settled in his first area in Colorado.  He filled up 1/2 a tote, which pretty much explains Alec and his personality...he just doesn't care about "stuff" and doesn't get attached to material things.  The rest went in his suitcases and then we headed to Phoenix.  We stayed at Heidi and Steve's house and Heidi and kids went with us to the airport.  We had to get him there by 6:00 am and we had about 1/2 hour to say goodbye and take pictures.  I am still getting the ones from Heidi with our family, but here are a couple I liked of her family.
Two peas in a pod!  They won't see each other for 3 years!  Friends for life, cousins for eternity :)

Heidi, Emily, Charity, Alec, Jeremy, & Zac
He was begging us to just let him go.  He was so wound up (to be expected) that he just wanted to get it over with and get on the plane!  There were at least 15 other Elders/Sisters going on the same flight, heading to the MTC.  They were there with their families, too.  It was exciting to see.  He was making friends with them as he was going through security.  I am glad he wasn't alone on his flight.

Alec's Aunt, Jenette, and her family came and picked him up from the Salt Lake City airport to take him down to Provo, to the M. T. C.

Alec and Net
Craig and Alec (yum!  Cafe Rio!!!)

Alec and cousin, Hannah

After eating some lunch, he was ready to head to the MTC.  Jenette said that when they got there, and he saw the masses of people being dropped off and the luggage and everything he said "What have I gotten myself into?!?".  It is quite a production and they have got things figured out at the MTC.  It is literally a "drop and go" situation and so Jenette and Craig "dropped" him and said a quick "goodbye" and left.  She called me right after and was in tears.  She just really loves him and was so happy that she was able to do that with her family.  I was so grateful that she and Craig took the time and money to do that for Alec.  I know it helped ease him into what he was getting ready to do.  

We haven't heard from Alec, yet, but hope to be able to hear from him soon.  He has been in 1/2 a week and I hope he is doing well and absorbing all he can.  It's a bit overwhelming, but it's not forever, and I know he'll do great.  We'll post more from him as his mission continues.  We are grateful for all the love and support from family and friends that have gotten him to this point.  He is a great kid and super fun to be around.  We hope those in Colorado will grow to love him as we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment